Thursday, May 07, 2009

Subject: Newtonin 3m Vithi

On paper Newtonin sounds like a science-fiction movie, but unfortunately it's a poor adaptation of 'Phone Booth', the main difference here is we know who the caller is. SJ Suryah (Guru) takes revenge on JP (Rajeev Krishna), who sexually exploits Priya and causes her death. Using phone as his only form of communication,Guru threatens JP that he would kill him by 12 pm on Valentine's Day, the exact time Priya died a year ago. Of course, our hero doesn't reveal his identity easily. He engages JP in a disturbing cat-and-mouse chase.

Suryah isn't convincing in the 'innocent' lover boy role or in the revengeful role. No matter how hard he tries, nothing much he could do with his pentagon-shaped face. Rajeev Krishna, although portrayed as a metro businessman, he doesn't fail to shout and exert exaggerated seena-thana kinda role.Where is the Rajeev Krishna of 'Aaha'? I wonder if the actress is a model for ads on Exophthalmos (bulging of the eye); the only expressive emotion she does is opening her eyes wide. Yugendran should better stay in Airtel Super Singer, I don't get how a gangster manages to defuse a bomb.

Like his previous movies,this one isn't devoid of sexual contents. I've heard guys affectionately calling their 'thingy' as 'thamby', 'junior' but in this movie we get to see the heroine talking directly to his 'thingy'.

When I thought rape scenes are long gone with director Chandrasekhar, here we see an unnecessary rape scene.

The movie is extremely predictable. We know within few minutes, how the movie is going to end. Nothing is intelligent about this movie as the title sounds.

Verdict: Surya's Newtonin 3m Vithi action definitely brings out yawn reaction from us

7 comments:

AJEYA RAO said...

Phone booth is a good movie...by reading your review i think...it wouldbe better these people can remake the movie as is than getting creative with the existing storyline. :-)

Dot said...

ajeya rao,

Even then, they would add introduction and romantic songs

Sriram said...

SJ Surya lost the plot after directing 'Vaali'. And now this...

Dot said...

Sriram: This is not his direction but yes, he's out of his mind post Kushi.

Vijay G S said...

The trailor of the movie meant revenge story. You didnt see it?

Dot said...

VijayGanesh. S: I didn't watch it. The stills made it look like a psycho thriller movie.

Mambalam Mani said...

I just saw the movie. You forgot to mention the last scene where he launches the bullets by holding them between his fingers and heating it with flames. I thought the movie was reasonably serious and had some iota of thriller till then. But after that......